What I really mean!!

  • $ - Taco/Hotdog $tand/Truck, Dive bar or Donut shop. Probably have enough cash in your wallet.
  • $$ - If you had to eat out every meal, this would be a good option but don’t forget the morning workout.
  • $$$ - A night out and away from the kids while paying a $itter.
  • $$$$ - New client/customer but your not ready to stick your nose in his a$$. Split a plate with your significant other.
  • $$$$$ - Only when your boss or someone else pays or you really, really, really me$$ed up!!
  • :( - I would rather eat a big steaming pile of _______ (fill in the blank)!!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yummy Portland!!!

Yes it’s been a long time, and yes, I am going to try and be better about posting blogs. I have run into a few places that are definitely worthy of some words, and with the new job; I will travel a five state region in the pacific northwest almost every week.

My goal has always been to find off the beaten path places to blog about, and that will not change. Let’s take a look at a recent trip to Portland, OR.



I have been in the Portland area several times in the last few years and thought I was up the best places to dine. Wrong, I did know of a few, but on the last trip I got some recommendations from old high school friends and some new friends, all local to the Portland area. THANK YOU for exposing me to what I was missing in Portland. What a fabulous place to eat, drink, shop, play........ We never had a bad meal while there but below is what stuck out the most!!


Voodoo Donuts

Our walk 6 or 7 blocks from our hotel and back didn’t cancel the calorie intake we ingested at this highly publicized donut shop. Anyone who has watched The Food Network has likely seen this unique morning marvel and the crazy creations they spin out. Our choices consisted of a foursome of the somewhat less adventurous type. Buttermilk Bar (long time Favorite), Apple Fritter (Classic), Mexican Hot Chocolate and Maple Bar w/ bacon (two strips on top). Yep, you can’t go wrong with adding bacon to it!!! The only thing I like more than bacon is bacon wrapped bacon. The first two were nothing to write home about, I’ve had better. For the second half, this is what Voodoo is founded on and for good reason. Make a crazy creation that taste great and it will keep them lined out the door and coming back from more. Only change I would make to the Maple Bar is to crumble the bacon to insure that each bite includes some fatty salty goodness!!! Make sure to get your spot in line but it might be a good idea to check out the web site prior to standing at the counter muttering uhhhh, uhhhh, uhhhh. $

www.voodoodoughnut.com


Portland City Grill

A Happy Hour must. Located downtown at 111 SW 5th Ave. on the 30th Floor your view is a guarantee. I suggest sitting close to the piano if you can, you will still get a great view of the city. The reasonably priced Happy Hour menu is a good reason to go, but don’t think of this establishment as just a trendy place to get started. Stay a while and turn your trip into an attractive dinner setting. Great selection of fresh fish and seafood, nice wine list and comfortable environment. (People Watching) $$$$ www.portlandcitygrill.com


Time For a Beer, I think so!!

Any city that has a “Brewers District” is a must stay and play for me. Most of us here in the northwest are familiar with Deschutes and Rogue as top Micro beer brands. No reason to not venture into each of these locations while in Portland, especially since there blocks apart. Still within walking distance of any hotel in the downtown area (I prefer the walk down-cab back method vs. the stagger back), these beer joints provide tasty beer flights, lunch, snacks or dinner. Dessert Beer, what a perfect end to your visit. Stop by the Rogue for a “snickers”, a version o f the black and tan or maybe tan and tan. Hazelnut Brown Nectar and Chocolate Stout!!!


Not a fan of these Micro’s but still enjoy a good brew? GO TO HENRY’s 12th St Tavern. With an enormous list of draft (100+) and bottled beer your sure to find one or more to your liking. Don’t be fooled, this is not just the holy grail of beer. Check out their stellar menu for apps, lunch or dinner!! $$

www.rogue.com

www.deschutesbrewery.com

www.henrystavern.com


Café Mingo (aka - Bar Mingo)

Saving the best for last of course! Our new friends met us in the Pearl District of Portland for our last evening in the city. We arrived at this quaint little place (Café Mingo) to find no more than a half dozen tables, additional space in the bar section (Bar Mingo), and of course everything packed and a wait list 45 minutes to an hour long. No worries!! Plenty of night life in “The Pearl”, give them your cell number and head down the street for a pre-dinner cocktail and appetizer.


Now, those who have read a blog or two and hence the, “snob”, in the blog name you should know I’m not exactly easy to please. The staff at Café Mingo had no trouble. Great company, nice wine and a dinner that will likely never leave my all time top 5!! Most always a good idea to order the special at a place like this. Lamb Risotto!!! I savored every bite. One more glass of wine and I would have licked the plate clean. I have only recently began to enjoy lamb and this night was by far the best dish yet. Braised in a mirepoix, green olives, garlic, shallots, tomatoes, rich stock, finished with red wine and served in a velvety parmesan risotto. I salivate still today!! Everyone enjoyed their meal and this is certainly a place I won’t hesitate to visit each time I’m in town. $$$ www.barmingonw.com


There are so many more places in the Portland area I am dying to try. Luckily I will be back at least another half dozen times by the end of the year!! What’s your favorite place??


P.S. – Stop at Oregon Wines on Broadway for a wine flight or two. Oregon gives good wine!! www.oregonwinesonbroadway.com

No comments: