What I really mean!!

  • $ - Taco/Hotdog $tand/Truck, Dive bar or Donut shop. Probably have enough cash in your wallet.
  • $$ - If you had to eat out every meal, this would be a good option but don’t forget the morning workout.
  • $$$ - A night out and away from the kids while paying a $itter.
  • $$$$ - New client/customer but your not ready to stick your nose in his a$$. Split a plate with your significant other.
  • $$$$$ - Only when your boss or someone else pays or you really, really, really me$$ed up!!
  • :( - I would rather eat a big steaming pile of _______ (fill in the blank)!!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pink’s and Randy’s

Many of you have heard of these famous locations in the Los Angeles area especially if you watch the Food Network but have you been there?? Until Monday I would have said no as well.
Not exactly a health conscious line up for an afternoon of eats but with my meeting being cancelled it allows me the time to visit these locations that I've heard great things about for years.

Pink’s Famous Hot Dogs
Since 1939 this family owned hot spot has been is in the same location dishing out world famous chili dogs, burgers and much more. I have seen numerous TV specials about Pink’s and have always wanted to taste what all the hype is about.

I had no problem finding the place and must have been very lucky with parking and only waiting in line for 15 minutes. From my understanding the short wait I had would be admired by many. The wait was both good and bad for me. Good to look at the menu over and over and bad because……… I got to look over the menu over and over.
By the time it was my turn to order I had easily changed my mind a dozen times but ultimately settled on the Chili Dog with Kraut, the spicy version of the Chicago Dog and an order of Onion Rings. Yep………ouch. I think this is about as close as one could come to defining a “Gut Bomb”.
Everything was pretty good. Would I drive out of my way to visit again? Probably not, at least not by myself. I would go again with someone who hadn’t been before. The Chili Dog was better without the Kraut, great Onion Rings and the Chicago Dog was the bomb.

Randy’s Donuts
Built in 1952 this place has appeared in many movies and is always recognizable by the huge donut on top of the building. Only 8 miles from Pink’s or 30 min drive I had to do it. Another one of those seen on the Food Network, I again must see what all the hype is about.

First of all, let’s air some dirty laundry. I LOVE DONUTS!!! There I said it. I’m not talking about the donuts purchased at the grocery store or those mass produced chunks of cardboard like substances in the cellophane packages and white boxes located at the same place you buy fuel. I’m talking about the donuts made fresh daily with real ingredients by people who like to shake things up a little and try to think outside of the donut box.

Randy’s is it. Lots of choices and priced very reasonable. I always like to find out what the workers eat when they eat at their place of business and this day is no different. She tells me the only one she eats is the Buttermilk Donut. Um……ok……butter good, milk good and donut, well, we already covered that. This donut ranks right up there with the best I have ever had. Crunchy glazed outside with a nice tender inside beaming with buttermilk flavors. I wish I had gotten at least a half dozen before driving away. I also tried a Devils Food Cake but it failed to meet the upper rankings of the donut scale. Will I go back?? Yep, anytime. Lots more on the menu to explore in addition to adding a 6 pack of buttermilk to the order.

http://www.pinkshollywood.com/
http://randys-donuts.com/

No comments: